Degree in Sociology from Saarland University (Diplom-Soziologe, M.A. equivalent), PhD in Information Science from Saarland University.
Main Research Areas
Electronic publishing, science communication & science infrastructure, scientific publishing, science research, scientometrics, social media, media & information journalism, science journalism.
Since 2001 working for the Saarland University and State Library as project manager and Open Access expert and since 2011 freelancing for scidecode science consulting. For a more detailed CV please visit my LinkedIn or ORCID profile.
Since 2001 project manager of a number of third-party funded projects (mainly funded by the German Research Foundation DFG) at the Saarland University and State Library (SULB), among others:
- Virtual Library Psychology, funded by the German Research Foundation (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, DFG)
- Digital Psychology Information, funded by the DFG
- OPUS 4 (Re-Design of a E-Publishing Software), funded by the DFG
- Open-Access-Statistics, funded by the DFG
- JISC Usage Statistics Project, fundedy by the Joint Information Systems Committee (UK)
- Open Access Publishing, funded by the DFG
- Open Access Publication Costs, funded by the DFG
- Summa cum Fraude, funded by the DFG
Consulting projects for scidecode
- contract research in the project visOA: Making Open Access publications visible in the holdings of a library, funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research, methods: literature study, qualitative interviews and two online surveys
- various expert papers and audit studies on scientific publications and research data for OUROUK Conseil
- consulting activities in various Inscico projects
- bibliometric study on Open Access publications for Saarland University of Applied Sciences
- synopsis of recommendations, statements, declarations and activities of science policy actors on shaping the scholarly communication system, commissioned by the Berlin-Brandenburgische Akademie der Wissenschaften (BBAW)
- contract study on the visibility of the Yearbook of Phraseology, commissioned by the European Society of Phraseology (EUROPHRAS)
- revision of the website Informationsplattform Open Access, commissioned by the Communication, Information, Media Centre (KIM, Konstanz).
Other project-like activities
- Fellow of the innoSci Future Lab of the German Stifterverband
- Fellow of the Road2Openness Programme of the German Stifterverband
- a wide range of workshops on scientific communication, e.g. strategies for scientific publishing and social media in science
Memberships in Committees and Associations
Current Memberships in Committees and Associations
- Working Group Electronic Publishing of the German Initiative for Networked Information (Deutschen Initiative für Netzwerkinformation DINI e.V.)
- Section “Cultural Theory and Cultural Research” of the Austrian Society for Sociology ÖGS
- Association of Higher Education of Information Science in the German-speaking countries (board member since 03/2017)
- Working Group Scientific Publication System of the Alliance of Science Organizations in German, nominated by the German Rectors’ Conference (Hochschulrektorenkonferenz, HRK)
- Advisory Board of the research project “Open Access in Vocational Education and Training Research” of the Federal Institute for Vocational Education and Training BIBB.
Former Memberships in Committees and Associations
- Sounding Board “Communicating Open Science” of the Max-Planck-Society (2013)
- Open Access Working Group of the Leibniz Association
- Expert group “Copyright for the Information Society” of the Google Collaboratory
- Society for Science and Technology Research /Gesellschaft für Wissenschafts- und Technikforschung e.V. (GWTF)
Publications, Reviewer activities, Memberships in Editorial Boards
- Ongoing publications of a scientific and journalistic character and lectures at scientific congresses and conferences.
- Member of the editorial boards of the journals Information, Wissenschaft & Praxis und Young Information Scientist
- Reviewer for various scientific journals, e.g. Scientometrics, Information – Open Access Information Science Journal, First Monday, Zeitschrift für Hochschulentwicklung, Mitteilungen der Vereinigung Österreichischer Bibliothekarinnen & Bibliothekare, Technikfolgenabschätzung – Theorie und Praxis (TATuP), Young Information Scientist and Information, Wissenschaft & Praxis.
- Reviewer of applications for funding from the German Research Foundation (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft DFG), the Leibniz Association (Leibniz Competition), swissuniversities and the Tyrolean Science Funding Programme.
- Teaching assignment at the Hochschule der Medien (HdM) in Stuttgart 2012, 2013, 2016, 20217
- Annual guest lectures at the University of Applied Sciences of the Grisons (Graubünden, CH) at the Department of Information Science since 2015
- Teaching assignment at Saarland University in the winter semester 2011/12 and summer semester 2012
- Teaching assignment at the University of Applied Sciences of the Grisons (Graubünden, CH) at the Department of Information Science in 2011